This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1123236



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Colne Engaine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115850

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.




Parish church. C12- early C16, restored in 1872 by G. Swansborough. Flint and stone rubble containing Roman brick and tile, and red brick in English bond, with dressings of Barnack and other limestone, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Nave early C12, Chancel C13, W tower C14/15, upper part rebuilt in brick in early C16, S porch C15, altered in early C16, N vestry and organ-chamber 1872. The Chancel has a C19 E window. In the N wall are traces of the tile relieving arch, visible externally, of a blocked C13 lancet window plastered internally; further W is a C14 'low side' window of one light with moulded jambs and 2-centred head, trefoiled ogee tracery and one iron bolt-socket. Between them is a C19 opening to the organ-chamber. In the S wall are 2 windows: the eastern is early C14, of 2 septfoiled lights with tracery with richly moulded jambs, mullion and 2-centred arch; the sill is carried down to form a seat, the splays stopped with trefoiled ogee heads. The western window is an early C14 'low side' window similar to that opposite, but deeper, with 4 original iron hinge pintles near the bottom. Between the windows is a C13 doorway with chamfered jambs, 2-centred arch and moulded label, blocked. Above the doorway are traces of a C13 relieving-arch similar to that in the N wall. The chancel-arch was rebuilt in 1872. The Nave has W quoins of Roman brick, irregularly alternated with limestone, and in the S wall are well-defined bonding courses of Roman brick. In the N wall are 2 C19 windows. Between them traces of a blocked C12 window defined in Roman brick are visible externally. In the S wall are 2 windows, all C19 except the splays and moulded 2-centred rear-arch of the eastern, C14. W of this window is a C12 window defined externally with Roman brick, blocked internally, and indistinct traces of another further W. To the W is the C14 S doorway with double-chamfered jambs and moulded 2-centred arch; the doors are C19. The roof of the Nave is C14, in 4 equal bays, of crownpost construction, with moulded wallplates, wall-pieces, arch-braces and straight tiebeams, square crownposts with moulded bases and caps, 4-way rising braces, and long straight down-braces to the end tiebeams; the rafters are plain and there are soulaces to every couple; the collar-purlin is chamfered. The second truss from the E has 2 grotesque carved corbels, C14. The W tower is of 3 stages, with a splayed stair-turret to the S, the lowest stage of rubble, probably C14, the upper stages rebuilt in brick in the early C16. The tower arch and W window are C19. The second stage has a chamfered loop in the N and S walls. The bell-chamber has in each wall an early C16 window of two 4-centred lights with chamfered jambs and pierced spandrel in a 4-centred head with a moulded label. The buttresses have each a trefoil-headed recessed panel at the level of the second stage. The crenellated parapet projects on a trefoiled corbel-table, above which is a band of cusped ornament; on the E side this band has a stone shield and De Vere molet. There are 4 crocketed octagonal pinnacles. The first floor is original, of chamfered joists of horizontal section framed round a bellway. There is a scratch-dial on the base of the stair-turret. The C15 S porch, originally timber framed, has been built up in brick to wallplate level, with an ornamented brick gable outside the original studded gable, in the early C16. The outer archway has richly moulded jambs, 2-centred arch and label, all set in a projection with a crow-stepped head surmounted by a niche with a moulded base and a 4-centred head. The side walls have each a window of two 4-centred lights with a pierced spandrel. The C15 roof is in 2 bays, of crownpost construction, with hollow-chamfered wallplates, moulded covings, moulded tiebeams with step stops, arched braces, moulded crownposts and plain axial bracing; the braces to the central tiebeam are cut back at their bases, where the brick side windows have replaced the appropriate posts. The cusped bargeboards, presumed to date from the original build, are much decayed. In the Chancel is a piscina with moulded jambs and trefoiled ogee head with carved spandrels, crocketed label and finial, and octofoiled drain, C14. On the S respond of the chancel-arch is an early C16 brass to Agnes Hunt, widow, and her daughters Agnes, Alys and Elizabeth, inscription only. There are 6 bells, the third by Miles Graye, 1624, the sixth dated 1760 and inscribed 'Tho. Gardiner did me cast - I will seng his prais to the last'. On the S walL of the Chancel is a white marble tablet to Philip Hills, 1830, with lamp and swag on a black marble ground. On the N wall of the Nave are white and black marble tablets (1) to Thomas Sewell, 1821, and his widow Mary, 1824, with lamp and guttae, (2) to Rev. James Boyer, 1814, and his widow Catherine, 1824. On the S wall of the nave are oval white marble plaques on black marble grounds to Arthur William Trollope, 1768, and Rev. John Greenwood, 1863. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL8502630365

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 85026 30365


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123236 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 12:28:30.

End of official listing