This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1123249



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Colne Engaine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115877

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/28 The Grove


House. Circa 1600, extended in C18, C19 and early C20. Timber framed, the lower storey clad c.1980 with red brick in Flemish bond, the remainder roughcast, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 4-bay lobby-entrance plan facing SE, the original axial stack replaced by a smaller stack in the C19 or early C20, with C19 internal stack at right end, the original service bay to rear of right bay. C18 extension at left end extending to rear, with internal stack against front wall, another stack in rear wall, and small lean-to to right of it, possibly built as a garderobe. C18/19 stack to rear of original service wing and C19 extension beyond, with lean-to to left. Early C20 stair tower between rear wings. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 3 early C20 casements and French windows, first floor 7 early C20 casements. Early C20 door. Roof hipped at left end. Jowled posts, close studding, curved bracing trenched inside studs, partly exposed in right bays. Chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue stops, and ovolo-moulded axial beam in left bay of original main range; plain joists of horizontal section. Early C17 oak panelling in left bay of main range, C18 pine panelling in right bay and upper storey of left extension. C17/18 3-light window with wrought iron casement in rear wall of original service range, now enclosed by extension, and C19 bread oven with wrought iron door. The owner states that she has deeds and diaries relating to the building, back to 1777. RCHM 5.

Listing NGR: TL8475631025

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 84756 31025


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123249 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 08:01:32.

End of official listing