This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD RECTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1123250

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, PEBMARSH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Colne Engaine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115878

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8430-8530 COLNE ENGAINE PEBMARSH ROAD (west side)

7/29 The Old Rectory 18.12.86 (Formerly listed under Booses Green) II

Wrongly shown on OS map as Rectory. House. Early C19, incorporating fragment of an earlier building, extended in late C19. Mainly of plastered brick, roofed with slate; earlier wing timber framed, clad with painted brick, roofed with handmade red plain tiles; late C19 extension in painted brick with slate roof. Double pile plan facing SE, with 2 internal stacks symmetrically arranged. C19 external stack to rear right, with single-storey earlier wing beyond. Late C19/ early C20 lean-to extension to right of it. Late C19 extension to rear left. Early C20 conservatory to left of main range. 2 storeys. 3-window range of original sashes of 12 lights. Central 6-panel dooor, overlight with geometrical tracery, doorcase with 2 columns and open pediment, 2 stone steps. Entrance set slightly back from main elevation. Hipped roof of shallow pitch. Original stair with wreathed handrail and stick balusters. On ground floor, original 6-panel internal doors and skirtings. On first floor, 4-panel doors. A local guidebook reports that the house was built in 1825 for Dr. A.W. Trollope (rector 1814-27), and the left rear wing added by William Webster (rector 1865-70). (Colne Engaine, the Story of an Essex Parish, unsigned, undated but c. 1975).

Listing NGR: TL8462330834

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colne Engaine The Story of an Essex Parish, (1975)

National Grid Reference: TL 84623 30834

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123250 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 04:19:22.

End of official listing