NORTHYS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123310

Date first listed: 16-Oct-1981

Statutory Address: NORTHYS, PARKHALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTHYS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123310 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 11:16:19.

Location

Statutory Address: NORTHYS, PARKHALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Wethersfield

National Grid Reference: TL 74307 28978

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 72 NW WETHERSFIELD PARKHALL ROAD, BEAZLEY END (south side)

3/198 Northys 16.10.81

- II

House. Early C16 or earlier, altered c.1600 and in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays facing approx. NE, comprising 2-bay hall with stack in right bay against rear wall, parlour/solar bay to left, service bay to right. Small C20 extension to front with catslide roof. One storey with attics. NE elevation, 3 C20 casements and C20 door. SW elevation, 5 C20 casements and one more in gabled dormer. Original sprockets below eaves at front and back. Jowled posts, heavy studding, doorway to NE (now within extension) with 3-centred arched head. The SE (parlour/solar) bay is originally storeyed, with lodged joists slightly raised at end and plastered to the soffits, the present stair probably in the original stair trap. The originally storeyed service bay has a chamfered axial beam, joists plastered to the soffits, rebated floorboards, c.1600. The hall has a cambered central tiebeam with chamfered arched braces, and at the 'high' end, curved display bracing trenched into heavy studs, and the original doorway into the parlour with plain straight head and severed draught screen, diamond mortices and rebates for unglazed windows. The stack comprises a timber framed chimney with mantel bean jointed and pegged into post at side, lined with bricks c.1600; the timber structure does not continue above tiebeam level. The inserted floor consists of a chamfered axial beam with plain joists of horizontal section supported on pegged clamps, and rebated boards, c.1600. Edge-halved and bridled scarfs in wallplates. Roof of collar-rafter construction, smoke-blackened in the hall only. Tiebeam between hall and service bay removed. The RCHM (46) reported a N wing added c.1700, now gone.

Listing NGR: TL7430728978

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115710

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing