TIMBERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123362

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: TIMBERS, BRAINTREE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TIMBERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123362 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 06:11:32.

Location

Statutory Address: TIMBERS, BRAINTREE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Wethersfield

National Grid Reference: TL 72105 29945

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 7229 WETHERSFIELD BRAINTREE ROAD (east side)

6/128 Timbers (formerly listed as 21.12.67 "Timbers", Cherry Gardens)

GV II

House. Late C16, altered in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing SW with central stack, c.1590, extended to left by one bay shortly afterwards. 2-bay rear extension, c.1600, with C20 external stack at end. Single-storey lean-to extension in right rear angle. 2 storeys. 4-window range of C20 casements. C20 door in lean-to porch, C20. Date 'Circa 1575' in modern plaster on front. 4 linked octagonal shafts, shortened and upper parts rebuilt in C20. The right return wall has a jetty with ovolo-moulded bressumer. The interior has jowled posts, and some exposed studding with straight braces trenched to the inside. 2 large wood-burning hearths, the left hearth with a C17 cast iron fireback, the right hearth with an early C17 depressed arch of plastered brick with C20 grate. In the left extension there are longitudinal joists of horizontal section. The 2 main ground floor rooms have chamfered transverse beams, one with lamb's tongue stops and plain joists of horizontal section. Both of these beams have been scarfed at a later date near the front wall, the purpose of which is not apparent. Early C19 brick floors in all ground floor rooms, some original floorboards above. Both roofs of clasped purlin construction. Photographs in the possession of the owner show that there are 2 windows of early glazed type above the jetty, each with one mullion and 2 saddle bars, now plastered in on both sides. Beside the left ground floor hearth there is a curved draught screen, of C17 construction, with 3 D-section ledges of matched curvature and rebated boards, a rare and valuable survival, later raised to ceiling level. RCHM 34.

Listing NGR: TL7210529945

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115641

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing