ABBOT'S HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123370

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: ABBOT'S HALL, BRAINTREE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ABBOT'S HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123370 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 08:26:58.

Location

Statutory Address: ABBOT'S HALL, BRAINTREE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Shalford

National Grid Reference: TL 73080 27756

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 72 NW SHALFORD BRAINTREE ROAD (west side)

3/35 Abbot's Hall

GV II

House. Early C19, extended in late C19 and early C20. Gault brick in Flemish bond, slate roofs. Double pile plan facing NW, with side stacks. Large service range to right, set slightly forward, with internal stack, 1879. Square ballroom extension to left, also set slightly forward, 1920. Single storey extensions to right and right rear, c.1880. Main range and ballroom extension of 2 storeys, service range of same height but in 3 storeys. Main range, 5-window range of original sashes of 12 lights with flat brick arches. Service range, 3-window range of sashes, various types. Ballroom extension, 2-window range of sashes of 12 lights. Central half-glazed double doors and overlight, Greek Doric portico. Each range roofed separately, low-pitched and hipped, the original house having long projecting eaves with panelled soffits. The SE (garden) elevation has 4 pairs of French windows with original louvred shutters, and a wrought iron canopy with glass roof. Rainwater heads of service range dated 1879. The entrance hall has the original floor of stone flags with diaper design in slate, 2 semi-elliptical arches with panelled soffits, and original side door (now to the service range) with semi-elliptical fanlight and radial tracery. Original stair of stone treads with scrolled ends, cast iron balusters and mahogany wreathed handrail. All original 6-panel doors, some with reeded architraves, folding shutters and skirtings.

Listing NGR: TL7308027756

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115554

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing