SPARROWS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123386

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: SPARROWS FARMHOUSE, SPARROWS FARM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SPARROWS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123386 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 04:43:20.

Location

Statutory Address: SPARROWS FARMHOUSE, SPARROWS FARM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Terling

National Grid Reference: TL 75397 14521

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 71 SE TERLING SPARROWS FARM ROAD (north side)

5/151 Sparrows Farmhouse

GV II

House. Early C17, altered in C18 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing SW with central stack, forming a lobby-entrance. 2-bay rear wing at right end. C19 and C20 extensions in N angle. C20 extension to left of main range. 2 storeys with attics. Ground floor, 3 C20 sashes. First floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 12 and 16 lights respectively, with crown glass, and 2 C20 sashes. Attic, one C20 sash. Late C16 door with ovolo-moulded and riveted grid on outside, possibly introduced, in original 2-storey porch. On main stack, 3 richly ornamented round shafts, original, and one plain octagonal shaft. Jowled posts. Ovolo-moulded axial and transverse beams with lamb's tongue stops. On first floor, original fireplace facing to left with moulded plaster jambs and depressed arch, and plain Victorian cast iron grate. In equivalent hearth facing to right, ornate Victorian cast iron grate. This became a freehold farm of 80 acres in 1611, and the present house probably dates from then. It became copyhold of the manor of Terling Hall in 1703, and was bought by John Strutt in 1761 (Essex Record Office, D/DRa T.73). RCHM 27.

Listing NGR: TL7539714521

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115499

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing