This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1123410



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Terling

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115462

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 7714 TERLING CHURCH GREEN (north-west side)

11/114 United Reformed Church


Congregational church. 1752-3, altered in C19. Red brick in Flemish bond with dressings of blue brick, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Rectangular plan facing SE, with early C19 vestry to rear. One storey, but formerly with a gallery, so externally of 2 storeys. 3-window range of cross windows, those on the ground floor with segmental arches of red brick, those in the upper range with flat heads of alternate red and blue bricks. Double 6-panel doors standing forward in shallow gabled porch with flat brick arch and ball finial, added 1895. Recessed stone tablet over door inscribed 'Bvilded circa 1700, restored 1895' (the former date is erroneous). String course at first floor level. Plaster coving below eaves. Hipped roof. Inscription low in right return, 'T. Brown 1752' is probably by the master mason. In the rear elevation there are 2 altered windows at half-height, of 7 lights with semi-circular heads. The interior was originally arranged with the pulpit on the long NW wall and galleries on the other 3 sides; in 1895 the pulpit was moved to the short SW wall and the galleries removed. The windows in the SW wall were blocked. Marble tablet to the Reverend William Kemp, 1844, on SW wall.

Listing NGR: TL7724914867

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 77249 14867


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123410 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 10:36:21.

End of official listing