MILL DAM FORMING ROAD BRIDGE OVER RIVER TER AND ASSOCIATED WHEEL CHAMBER AND WATER PUMP TO THE SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123415

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: MILL DAM FORMING ROAD BRIDGE OVER RIVER TER AND ASSOCIATED WHEEL CHAMBER AND WATER PUMP TO THE SOUTH, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILL DAM FORMING ROAD BRIDGE OVER RIVER TER AND ASSOCIATED WHEEL CHAMBER AND WATER PUMP TO THE SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123415 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 01:42:48.

Location

Statutory Address: MILL DAM FORMING ROAD BRIDGE OVER RIVER TER AND ASSOCIATED WHEEL CHAMBER AND WATER PUMP TO THE SOUTH, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Terling

National Grid Reference: TL 77111 14699

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 7714 TERLING CHURCH ROAD

11/123 Mill dam forming road bridge over River Ter, and associated wheel chamber and water pump to the south

- II

Mill dam and wheel chamber of former watermill, 1767, and water pump, c.1870. Red brick in English bond, abutments of bridge reinforced with concrete. Aligned NE-SW across the River Ter, approx. 40 metres long, with 2 stilted round arches over the main channel, and a smaller stilted round arch over an overflow channel at the NE end. Wheel chamber and pump immediately S of SW end. On SE face of dam a stone tablet inscribed 'J.S. 1767' and a bronze plaque 'Essex County Council 1914'. The mill and associated works were constructed by John Strutt. The mill was demolished by the second Lord Rayleigh, who installed a pump in the original wheel-chamber, to supply drinking water to the village. A cast iron pipe of square section led the intake, through a control valve operated by a bevel gear, to drive an undershot cast iron wheel with 24 curved vanes. The supply of drinking water was piped from a spring at Swan Pond, 250 metres to the S, to 3 galvanised horizontal cylinders bolted through their end flanges to a cast iron chest containing 3 non-return valves. The water-wheel drove a crankshaft mounted on 3 split bearings, and 3 connecting rods and pistons. From the chest the water passed through a domed cylindrical collector and a gravity-operated safety valve to a system of standpipes, with an overflow in Wat Hobbs Lane. This sytem remained in use until c.1915, when it was replaced by an engine-driven pump of larger capacity, required to supply a large military camp. At the time of inspection, March 1985, the waterwheel and pump were complete except for one broken vane, one piston, connecting rod and big-end, part of the control gear, and oil cups for the bearings (G.A. Isted, A Story of Terling, 1977, 3-9).

Listing NGR: TL7711114699

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115471

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing