This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1123446



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Bardfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115348

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/209 Cross Farmhouse(formerly 21.12.67 listed in the parish of Finchingfield under OUTLYING ITEMS) GV II

House. Circa 1600, extended in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2 bays of main range, originally longer, facing SE, with axial stack in left bay, forming a lobby-entrance. 2-bay crosswing to left. Single-storey lean-to extension to rear of main range. Large C20 extension to left of crosswing. 2 storeys and attic. 3-window range of mid-C19 sashes with marginal lights. In attic gable, one C18 3-light window with wrought iron casement and rectangular leaded panes. C20 door, with early C19 simple hood on scrolled brackets. Old chevron pattern pargetting in panels. Left return wall of crosswing has exposed framing, with an original window of 4 lights with ovolo mullions at ground floor, and a similar blocked window above. A C17 3-light window with wrought iron casement has been re-sited in the rear lean-to. Some imitation framing exposed at rear. The interior has jowled posts, clasped purlin roof, and a large wood-burning hearth facing main range, with initials M.B. and A.L. inscribed on mantel beam. There are some introduced features, c.1950, including re-sited wall framing and beams and a C17 stair with turned balusters, reportedly from Hempstead.

Listing NGR: TL6948030506

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 69480 30506


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123446 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 11:27:50.

End of official listing