Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1123457

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Mar-1986



Ordnance survey map of TROYS HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 05:04:24.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Fairstead

National Grid Reference: TL 77527 16973


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/16 Troys Hall (formerly listed as 2.5.53 Great Troys) - II* House. C.1400, altered in C16. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay hall facing approx. SW, with early C16 stack in right bay against front wall, and 2-bay parlour/solar crosswing to left. Early Cl6 2-bay crosswing to right, extended to rear by one bay in late C16. Late C16 external stack to right of right crosswing. C18 one-bay extension to rear of left crosswing. Late C16 extension to left of left crosswing, with C18 end stack, and C20 flat-roofed single-storey extension in left rear angle. Crosswings of 2 storeys, remainder of one storey with attics. Ground floor, 4 C20 casements, 2 early C19 tripartite sashes of 4-12-4 lights. First floor, 2 C20 sashes, 2 C20 casements in gabled dormers. C20 half-glazed door. Both crosswings are jettied to the front. Right crosswing hipped at rear. Jowled posts, close studding. The hall has restored framing at the left end, an inserted floor with chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops, and a crownpost roof, heavily smoke- blackened. The central crownpost has wide 4-way rising braces, complete, and all rafters and collars are present. The inserted stack is concealed by modern materials, but is reported to have blind arcading and other early features. The left crosswing has half-height jowls, a chamfered binding beam with step stops, and mortices for short braces to it. In the left wall there are 2 blocked unglazed windows on the first floor, one complete with 3 diamond mullions, the other with diamond mortices for 3 mullions, both with shutter grooves. Cambered tiebeam, crownpost roof with plain post and wide axial braces. The right crosswing has diamond mortices and shutter grooves for unglazed windows at front and back, chamfered posts with square stops, a chamfered binding beam with step stops, a cambered tiebeam and crownpost roof. The crownpost is chamfered to an octagon, with step stops, and axial braces. The rear hip is original, but has been moved approx. 1.50 metres to the rear when the extension was added, apparently without any alteration, a rare, perhaps unique, development. The left extension has a clasped purlin roof which is lightly smoke-blackened, possibly implying that it was used for a fairly short period in the C16 as an open hall after the main hall was floored, or as a kitchen/bakehouse. The outside of the brick chimney is also smoke-blackened, so some at least of the blackening of the roof may be due to leakage. Moated site. RCHM 9.

Listing NGR: TL7752716973


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115369

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing