Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1123467

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985

Statutory Address: 6, 7 AND 8, BROOK STREET


Ordnance survey map of 6, 7 AND 8, BROOK STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123467 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 05:00:51.


Statutory Address: 6, 7 AND 8, BROOK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Great Bardfield

National Grid Reference: TL 67675 30554


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



8/153 Nos. 6, 7 and 8, 21 .12.67 (formerly listed as nos. 6, 7, and 8 St. John's Terrace)


House, now divided into 3 houses. C15, altered in C16 and C19. Timber framed, plastered with imitation framing exposed, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Comprises 2-bay hall facing S with axial stack in right bay, original 2-bay parlour/solar crosswing to left, with C19 central stack, and 2-bay crosswing to right, c.1570, replacing original service bay. Single-storey extensions to rear. Crosswings of 2 storeys, hall of one storey with attics. 4-window range of C19 Gothic Revival cast iron casements, the middle 2 upper windows in gabled dormers with C19 pierced bargeboards. 3 plain boarded doors. C19 pierced bargeboards with fleur-de-lys pendants on both gables. Grouped diagonal shafts on main stack, diagonal shaft on left stack. The floor of the hall and crosswing has risen approx. 0.8 metre in relation to the original structure, probably due to deposition of silt at the foot of the hill. It retains a blocked rear doorway with 4-centred head, and the lower half of a rear unglazed window, with transom and 5 moulded mullions. The central tiebeam is moulded to a bowtell-in-great-casement profile, and severed for an inserted doorway, the missing part re-used to frame the same doorway. Crownpost roof, smoke- blackened, central crownpost and braces missing. Late C16 inserted floor with chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops. The left crosswing (no. 6) has an underbuilt jetty, a hollow-moulded (but mutilated) girt on the right side, facing the hall (i.e. the dais beam), a rebate for the hall/parlour door, exposed close studding, and crownpost roof with plain post and axial braces. The original floor has been raised approx. 0.5 metre. The right crosswing (no. 8) has a chamfered binding beam with lamb's tongue stops, exposed plain joists of horizontal section, an underbuilt jetty, diamond mortices for an unglazed window at the side, and a crownpost roof with plain post and thin axial braces. The combination of lamb's tongue stops with a crownpost roof is of special historical interest, and makes this crosswing finely datable to c.1570. RCHM 12.

Listing NGR: TL6767530554


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115292

Legacy System: LBS


An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing