This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FFULESLO

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FFULESLO

List entry Number: 1123486

Location

FFULESLO, TOPPESFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Finchingfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-May-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115236

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 73 SW FINCHINGFIELD TOPPESFIELD ROAD (east side)

4/94 Ffuleslo

II

Wrongly shown on OS map as Foulslough Farm. House. C16, altered in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays facing N, with axial stack. Crosswing at E end, c.1930. Single-storey lean-to extension along front, C20. One storey with attics. Ground floor, 2 bow windows and 2 casements, all C20. First floor, one C20 casement and one more in gabled dormer. Door in C20 gabled porch, C20. The interior has jowled posts, heavy studding with curved braces trenched to the inside, chamfered axial beams, plain joists of horizontal section supported on pegged clamps. Internal tiebeams severed or missing. The internal truss near the W end had no tiebeam originally, but a half-height collar, which remains in situ, and implies that the 2 W bays were storeyed from the outset, although the present floor there is not original. Roof E of the stack rebuilt, W part inaccessible. Occupied by John Gielgud, actor, 1933-35. The present name is an archaic spelling of Foulslough.

Listing NGR: TL7017433104

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 70174 33104

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123486 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 03:13:24.

End of official listing