This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1123491



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Finchingfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115245

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 6832 7/103 21.12.67

FINCHINGFIELD WETHERSFIELD ROAD (south side) Great Biggins Farmhouse (Formerly listed as Great Biggins (2 flats))


House. C16, extended in C18 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3-bay range aligned E-W, probably the crosswing of a manor house formerly extending to the S, of which the remainder has been demolished. Central stack, late C16. C18 extension to N of E end, with external stack at end. C18/C19 bakehouse to E, linked to house in C20. Main range of 2 storeys, N range of one storey with attics. S elevation, 3-window range of C20 casements. Door at front of C20 gabled porch. The interior of the main range has a chamfered transverse beam (formerly with a fillet, mutilated), heavy plain joists of horizontal section, and evidence of a former jetty to the W. Large jowled posts are chamfered with step stops. Edge-halved and bridled scarf in S wallplate. Clasped purlin roof with arched collar, bearing the legend, painted in red and green 'borne 1760 I.W. July 21 -- 38 yr 0uld', incomplete. On the N upper wall of the main range some zigzag patterned exterior plaster has been enclosed by the later extension. Moated site. RCHM 11.

Listing NGR: TL6894632763

Selected Sources

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

National Grid Reference: TL6894632763


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123491 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 07:56:45.

End of official listing