THE WHITE HART

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123506

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 17-May-1985

Statutory Address: THE WHITE HART, BROOK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WHITE HART
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123506 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 06:37:23.

Location

Statutory Address: THE WHITE HART, BROOK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Great Bardfield

National Grid Reference: TL 67650 30527

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 6730 GREAT BARDFIELD BROOK STREET (south side)

8/144 The White Hart, (formerly listed as White Hart 2.5.53 Inn )

GV II

House. Early C15, altered in C17 and C19. Timber framed, plastered with some exposed framing, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay hall range facing N, with stack to rear of left bay, and 2-bay parlour/solar crosswing to left. 3-bay service crosswing to right, with external stack on right return wall. Single-storey extension to left, single-storey lean-to extension to right. 2 storeys. Left crosswing jettied to front, with-one reproduction bracket and splayed bay with C20 half-glazed double doors and casements below. 2 C20 casements, one of which is in the underbuilt jetty of the right crosswing. First floor, 3 C20 casements. Early C19 half-glazed door, with C19 painted sign over 'Licensed retailer of wines, spirits and beer. Dealer in tobacco' and shallow hood on scrolled brackets. Exposed curved tension bracing on right return wall, trenched outside studding. The hall has been raised approx. 1.5 metres in the cl7 to align with the roofs of the crosswings. The interior has a doorway from hall to parlour with 3-centred arched head, exposed studding and display bracing at both ends of hall, and a late C16 inserted floor, with chamfered beams and chamfered joists of horizontal section. The left crosswing has a complete crownpost roof, with cross-quadrate crownpost and 4-way rising braces, the side braces lap-jointed to the rafters below the collar. The right crosswing has a complete crownpost roof of different form, the 2 crownposts chamfered to an octagonal section with step stops, each with 2 rising braces to the collar-purlin and 2 down-braces to the tiebeam, the latter springing from the crownpost well above the rising braces. Edge-halved and bridled scarfs in wallplates of crosswings. RCHM 8. (The rear wing obliquely extending from the right crosswing, formerly listed under the same serial number, is now listed separately under serial number 8/145).

Listing NGR: TL6765030527

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115283

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing