CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1123570
Date first listed:
24-Feb-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, NORTH HILL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123570.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 14:53:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, NORTH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Colchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 99435 25240

Details



584/4/164 NORTH HILL 24-FEB-50 (East side) CHURCH OF ST PETER

II*

Church. C15, remodelled c.1700, tower of 1758 and C19 alterations. Stone rubble with brick tower. Nave with aisles and west tower. South arcade and south aisle early C15, north arcade and north aisle later C15, both arcades extended east C18 in Perpendicular style. North vestry with bone hole below added early C16. The mediaeval church had a central tower but this was removed in 1758 and the west tower built. This is a fine structure, the upper two stages having rusticated quoins and the west face a large and elaborate C19 clock mounted at right angles on a far projecting bracket. In 1692 an earthquake did considerable damage and the windows of the aisles are subsequent to this date. The galleries in the north and south aisles and the west end of the nave are C18. Considerable C19 restoration including the clerestory of 1895. The south door has some C13 ironwork. The early C16 vaulted bone hole is unusual. INTERIOR fittings include fine pulpit of c.1700, massive font of 1859 by C.F.Haywards and a number of C16 and C17 monuments. A multi-period church with surviving medieval work, a fine C18 tower and other C18 and C19 remodelling and fittings.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
117121
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10129/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Wilfred N. Winder. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].