THE SIEGE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1123627

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1959

Statutory Address: THE SIEGE HOUSE, 73-75, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SIEGE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123627 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 21:25:38.

Location

Statutory Address: THE SIEGE HOUSE, 73-75, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Colchester (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TM 00738 25318

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. EAST STREET 995 (North Side) Nos 73 to 75 (consec) (The Siege House) TM 0025 SE 7/69 19.2.59.

II* GV

2. Good house of early C16 timber construction some of the timber work outstanding. Extensively restored in 1905 after it had been acquired (1902) by E Marriage & Son Ltd, owners of the adjoining mill property. They had all the external plaster stripped and this revealed many bullet holes in the timbers of the west side and south front, dating from the time of the Siege of Colchester in 1648. The house is of L-shaped plan and the upper storey projects on the west side and south front with a heavy diagonal carved corner post. The East part of the moulded bressumer is original and the upper storey of this part of the building has an original window with diamond shaped mullions. On the west side is an original shaft with moulded capital supporting a curved bracket. The interior has a number of original features - moulded ceiling beams, panelling and remains of original roof construction.

Nos 70 to 75 (consec) form a group with East Mills and the Mill House

Listing NGR: TM0073825318

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116957

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing