MUNICIPAL WATER TOWER (JUMBO)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1123669

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1971

Statutory Address: MUNICIPAL WATER TOWER (JUMBO), BALKERNE PASSAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MUNICIPAL WATER TOWER (JUMBO)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123669 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 14:34:40.

Location

Statutory Address: MUNICIPAL WATER TOWER (JUMBO), BALKERNE PASSAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Colchester (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 99321 25182

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



584/4/424 BALKERNE PASSAGE 02-DEC-1971 Municipal Water Tower (Jumbo)

II*

Water Tower. Dated 1882 and opened 1883. Charles Clegg C.E. Borough Surveyor and Engineer. Red Brick with iron water tank. Approx. 110 feet high in Romanesque Revival 'Campanile' style. Square plan. 4 corner piers with flared coursed bases and corner pilasters with coved capitals. Piers have flying buttresses and pipes to the inside. Connecting each pier is a tall rounded arch (approx. 70 feet high) with moulded architrave. Above these, a course of brackets link the pilaster capitals, above which a second course of brackets are directly below the cast iron water tank. Copper pyramid roof capped by lantern and weather vane. Decorative cast iron spiral stair in roof. Central service pier with flared coursed base. Arched entrance to service tower with deep moulded terra cotta surround. Above this, a terra cotta plaque that reads 'WATER TOWER 1882'. Small arched openings to each storey of core tower, blind to north and south and open to east and west. Stone dedication plaque reads 'BALKAN WATER TOWER This edifice was dedicated to the public use on the 27th date of September 1883'. HISTORY: The Balkerne Water Tower, commonly known as 'Jumbo,' was built on a site adjacent to the early-C19 reservoir. In 1882 the town waterworks were taken over by the Corporation who built the Water Tower that was opened in 1883. Construction required 1.25 million bricks and 142 tons of iron to support he tank that can hold 230,000 gallons of water. It was decommissioned in the 1980s and permission had been granted for a residential conversion scheme at the time of reassessment (2003). SOURCES: Crosby, Tony. The Public Water Supply in Essex 1850-1939. Essex County Council, 1999.

A monumental water tower of 1883 in a Romanesque Revival style that references the Grade I Roman ruins at its feet.



Listing NGR: TL9932125182

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116859

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing