Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123684.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2020 at 05:03:27.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Castle Point (District Authority)
Canvey Island
National Grid Reference:
TQ 77452 83783


CANVEY ISLAND CANVEY ROAD TQ 78 SE 3/1 Dutch Cottage 5-2-52 - II Cottage, now used as a museum. Dated 1618. Octagonal timber frame, plastered brick facing. Thatched circular pointed roof terminating in a circular chimney stack with moulded capping. One storey and attics. Central eyebrow dormer windows. 2 light casements with Gothic glazing, shutters to ground floor windows. Central nailed door with 5 upper and lower vertical panels. Simple pediment on brackets. Rear buttress. Left later single storey lean-to extension with red tiled roof and similar door. Date 1618 over door. Canvey Island was reclaimed early/mid C17 by the Dutch who built the sea wall. 2 of the cottages of this period survive q.v. 3/2.

Listing NGR: TQ7745283783


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12080/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Angela Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].