This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BARN AT RENTER'S FARM, 40 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE OLD FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARN AT RENTER'S FARM, 40 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE OLD FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1123726

Location

BARN AT RENTER'S FARM, 40 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE OLD FARMHOUSE, TUDWICK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tolleshunt Major

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 353217

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TOLLESHUNT MAJOR TUDWICK ROAD TL 91 SW (west side) 3/113 Barn at Renter's Farm, 40 metres south-east of The Old Farmhouse - II

Barn. Early C14 origin, mainly C16. Timber framed, weatherboarded, roofed with corrugated iron. 6 bays aligned NNE-SSW, with 2 large midstreys to WNW and 2 smaller midstreys to ESE. Lean-to extensions on both long sides. Originally aisled, but rebuilt in the C16 without aisles. Jowled posts, cambered tiebeams, wide curved braces to former arcade plates. Curved tension braces trenched inside heavy studding. Arched braces to tiebeams replaced by bolted knees. One splayed and undersquinted scarf in WNW arcade plate, others concealed by repair timber. Clasped purlin roof, formerly tiled. The Old Farmhouse in the address is the former Renter's Farmhouse. Renter's Farm held the rectorial tithes at least from 1528 (P. Morant, The History and Antiquities of Essex, 1768, I, 392).

Listing NGR: TL9017811927

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Morant, P, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, (1768), 392

National Grid Reference: TL 90178 11927

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123726 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 01:59:32.

End of official listing