CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123753

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, BELLE VUE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123753 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 12:07:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, BELLE VUE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean (District Authority)

Parish: Cinderford

National Grid Reference: SO 65910 13837

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 61 SE CINDERFORD BELLE VUE ROAD (east side) 10/25 Church of St. Stephen II Parish church, 1890, chancel 1893, by C.H. Lingen Barker of Hereford. 4-bay nave with aisles, chancel and north vestry. Impressive west front to road, projecting centre, entrance door on returns. Plain plinth, plain ashlar bands at various levels: 3 lancet windows in centre at lower level, one each in aisles; above two 2-light windows with geometric tracery, above again a plate- tracery rose window and in the apex 3 slits with louvres. Either side the corner buttresses are taken up above the eaves with gabled caps. The entrance doors have separate hoodmoulds, with above a flat gable against the wall, carved with 2 layers of recessed semi- circles. The bell hangs under a projecting timber gablet over the north door. Aisles buttressed, with 3 lancets grouped beneath a hoodmould in each bay; clerestory has 2 sets of 2 lancets per bay. Impressive interior, plain round columns, simple arches: ceiling boarded, pointed barrel vault with ribs at half-bay centres rising off stone corbels. Western gallery in projection with stone balustrade. Original fittings.

Listing NGR: SO6591013837

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 354094

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing