This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ANCILLARY BUILDING 25 METRES WEST OF CHURCH HALL FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ANCILLARY BUILDING 25 METRES WEST OF CHURCH HALL FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1123801

Location

ANCILLARY BUILDING 25 METRES WEST OF CHURCH HALL FARMHOUSE, LONDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kelvedon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 116544

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KELVEDON LONDON ROAD TL 8418-8518 (north-west side)

9/247 Ancillary building 25 metres west of Church Hall Farmhouse

GV II

Ancillary building of uncertain purpose, probably stables, now a garage and store. Early C16. Timber framed, weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 4 bays aligned NW-SE, with 2 aisles. Lean-to extension at NW end, roofed with red clay pantiles. One storey. Jowled arcade posts and wallposts, heavy studding, wide arched braces to arcade-plates and tiebeams. Slightly splayed and bridled scarfs in arcade-plates. Original transverse partitions. Crownpost roof with wide axial bracing in the 2 NW bays, later thin axial bracing in the 2 SE bays. This unusual building is too small to be a barn; the high quality of timber and carpentry indicate a prestige use, probably stables for riding horses. Purpose-built stables for the Crown are recorded from the late C13 (H.M. Colvin, The King's Works, 1963, I, 919). This manor was held by the Abbot of Westminster (P. Morant, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, 1768, II, 150). The nearest equivalent in Essex is at Navestock Hall, Navestock, a manor of the Bishop of St. Paul's. Measured drawings by Anne Padfield will be deposited with Essex Record Office and the National Monuments Record.

Listing NGR: TL8561218279

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Morant, P, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, (1768), 150
Allen Brown, R, Colvin, H M, Taylor, A J, 'History of The Kings Works' in History of the Kings Works the Middle Ages, , Vol. 1, (1963), 919

National Grid Reference: TL 85612 18279

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123801 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 01:37:05.

End of official listing