COUNTY LIBRARY AND LOCAL HISTORY MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123804

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: COUNTY LIBRARY AND LOCAL HISTORY MUSEUM, MALDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of COUNTY LIBRARY AND LOCAL HISTORY MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123804 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 21:46:41.

Location

Statutory Address: COUNTY LIBRARY AND LOCAL HISTORY MUSEUM, MALDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Kelvedon

National Grid Reference: TL 85980 18286

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KELVEDON MALDON ROAD TL 8418-8518 (west side)

9/253 County Library and 25.6.74 Local History Museum (formerly listed as the School)

GV II

School, now library and museum. C18, altered and extended in c19. Red brick in English bond, extended in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Rectangular plan facing SE with axial stack at right end. Late C19 extension to right. C20 single-storey extensions at both ends; those at the left end are weatherboarded and roofed with red clay pantiles. Late C19 gabled porch in Gothic Revival style to front. One storey. 2 late C19 windows in Gothic Revival style, each of 4 lights with 4-centred heads in a segmental arch, and 3 casements in right extension. C19 Gothic Revival door. The original build has a double-chamfered plinth. In left end, blocked high window, killers, and vent in gable. Butt-purlin roof in 4 bays, ceiled in 4 cants, the principals ovolo-moulded with lamb's tongue stops, 2 chamfered tiebeams with lamb's tongue stops, plain purlins. In the middle of the rear wall the date 1743 in a cartouche in high relief. The porch is shown in the First Edition 25" O.S. map of 1875; the right extension is not shown until the Second Edition of 1895. (B.L. Kentish, Kelvedon and its Antiquities, 1974, 65-6). RCHM 11.

Listing NGR: TL8598018286

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116550

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Kentish, BL , Kelvedon and its Antiquities, (1974)

End of official listing