GREY'S MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123806

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1974

Statutory Address: GREY'S MILL, MALDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREY'S MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123806 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 11:57:19.

Location

Statutory Address: GREY'S MILL, MALDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Kelvedon

National Grid Reference: TL 86098 18210

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KELVEDON MALDON ROAD TL 8618-8718 (east side)

10/257 Grey's Mill 25.6.74

GV II

Water and steam mill, now warehouse. 1858. Painted brick in English bond. 5 bays aligned NE-SW, and engine house of 3 narrow parallel ranges aligned NE-SW to SE. Mill of 4.storeys and loft, engine house of one storey. SW elevation of mill, 2 windows on ground and first floors, 3 on second floor, one on third floor, all original cast iron casements of 12 lights with cast iron lintels. Large semi-circular cast iron casement in loft. C20 double doors on ground floor, original double loading doors on first floor. Corner giant pilasters and 2 giant pilasters in each return, with simple brick capitals and bases. The left elevation has 5 similar windows on the ground and second floors, 4 similar windows and central double loading doors on the first floor, no windows on the third floor. Low-pitched roof with long overhangs. The engine house has 3 original cast iron casements with semi-circular heads; the gable of the middle range stands above the outer ranges, and has a round cast iron window. The interior has no machinery but otherwise is almost complete. Transverse beams of imported pine of high quality approx. 9.20 metres long, supported on cast iron stanchions on ground, first and second storeys, replaced wooden posts on third storey. Roof trusses with 2 raking struts in each pitch. Original internal stairs to full height at each end. C20 goods lift in front left corner. The mill was built for George Docwra after the earlier mill was destroyed by fire in 1858, and the engine house was added before 1872. At that time 6 pairs of stones were driven by water power, and 5 pairs by steam, operating 24 hours a day, 6 days a week; it was insured for £2,000. The square chimney was at the rear of the engine house. By 1976 it was leaning dangerously, and was demolished soon afterwards (H. Benham, Some Essex Water Mills, 1976, 67, and M.S. Gregson, unpublished dissertation Kelvedon Milling from the late Eighteenth Century to the early Twentieth Century, 1976, 5-6, in the possession of the owners).

Listing NGR: TL8609818210

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116554

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Benham, H, Some Essex Water Mills, (1976), 67
Gregson, M S , Kelvedon Milling from the Late Eighteenth Century to the early Twentieth Century, (1976), 5-6

End of official listing