This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1123830



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Feering

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 116409

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


FEERING COGGESHALL ROAD TL 8620-8720 (west side)

7/88 Cowes and Bushmoor 1.2.88


House, now 2 cottages. Early C16, altered in C17 and late C19. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with glazed black pantiles. 4 bays facing NE, with stack of c.1600 in second bay from left end and C19 external stack to rear of right end, with lean-to extension with felt roof beyond. Lean-to extension roofed with asbestos tiles to rear of left end. One storey with attics. One late CL9 casement with blind Gothick head, one similar blind aperture, one small fixed light under eaves, 3 C19 sashes of 3 + 6 lights, double casement in gabled dormer roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Half-glazed door in gabled porch (Cowes), half-glazed door with sidelight and flat canopy (Bushmoor). Jowled posts, arched bracing trenched inside heavy studding. The left bay has an early C17 inserted floor comprising a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops, and plain joists of vertical section supported on pegged clamps. The right end bay has an original floor of plain joists of horizontal section arranged longitudinally. The walls have been raised approx. 0.60 metre. The stack comprises a large wood-burning hearth facing to left, of which the front part has been cut back for an inserted stair, with an incomplete bread oven to the rear; and a smaller wood-burning hearth facing to right, with a blocked aperture for a former bread oven to the rear. The internal tiebeams have been removed or severed. Good C17 or C18 internal battened doors with original latches. The owner has a complete series of deeds from the will of John Eley, 1749; the property was named Corves in 1764, which had become Cowes by 1865. The other name, Bushmoor, is of C20 coinage.

Listing NGR: TL8705520378

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 87055 20378


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123830 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 05:22:10.

End of official listing