FULLERTHORNE AND RAILINGS AND GATE TO FRONT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123847

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: FULLERTHORNE AND RAILINGS AND GATE TO FRONT, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FULLERTHORNE AND RAILINGS AND GATE TO FRONT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123847 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 15:12:16.

Location

Statutory Address: FULLERTHORNE AND RAILINGS AND GATE TO FRONT, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Kelvedon

National Grid Reference: TL 85748 18529

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KELVEDON CHURCH STREET TL 8418-8518 (north-east side)

9/140 Fullerthorne and 25.6.74 railings and gate to front (formerly listed as Fullerthorne)

GV II

House. Late medieval, altered in C18, extended in C20. Timber framed, plastered with some red brick, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. The main range facing SW comprises (1) 1½ bays of the original hall, with a late C16 inserted stack in the right bay (formerly the 'low end'), truncated to include the stack but the remainder of this bay and the service bay demolished, (2) parlour bay to left, with C18 stack at end, (3) C18 one-bay extension to left, (4) one-bay extension to left, c.1960, comprising garage and extension to bedroom over. Extension to rear of right end, c.1960, incorporating an C18/19 boundary wall of red brick. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 3 C20 replicas of early C19 sashes of 12 lights with moulded surrounds. First floor, 3 C20 replicas of C19 casements with moulded surrounds. Off-centre half-glazed 4-panel door in eared doorcase with pediment. Garage door at left end. Plain parapet. Gambrel roof. One C20 skylight near left end. Left return of painted brick. Right return, lower half of red brick, upper half plastered. The rear elevation has some early C19 patterned plaster, repaired. Simple wrought iron spearhead railings and gate along street boundary, except in front of garage. Part of one chamfered arched brace to the middle tiebeam of the hall is exposed below ceiling level, the remainder visible from the loft. Cambered central tiebeam, severed for stair at rear end, rear brace missing. Edge-halved and bridled scarf in rear wallplate. Large wood-burning hearth with moulded mantel beam, defaced; jambs plastered. Inserted floor in hall, c.1600, with chamfered axial beam (C20 scarf at left end), plain joists of square section, rebated hardwood boards. In the parlour bay 4 posts are exposed in the left wall; butt-edged hardwood floorboards on first floor, arranged transversely, indicating that the concealed joists are arranged longitudingally. In the C18 extension, recess at rear with semi-elliptical arch, and in the upper storey, pine floorboards and 2 C18 plain battened doors, one with a blocked opening. Frame mainly plastered in the upper storey, exposing parts of the wallplates. Some smoke-blackened medieval timber re-used in the C18 roof structure. The surviving features of the medieval house do not permit firm dating, except within the period c.1380-1500. The architect of the alterations of c.1960, including all replacement windows, was Peter Barefoot.

Listing NGR: TL8574818529

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116453

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing