THE BARLEY BARN, 40 METRES NORTH WEST OF CRESSING TEMPLE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1123865

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: THE BARLEY BARN, 40 METRES NORTH WEST OF CRESSING TEMPLE FARMHOUSE, WITHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BARLEY BARN, 40 METRES NORTH WEST OF CRESSING TEMPLE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 19:59:09.

Location

Statutory Address: THE BARLEY BARN, 40 METRES NORTH WEST OF CRESSING TEMPLE FARMHOUSE, WITHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Cressing

National Grid Reference: TL 79893 18774

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRESSING WITHAM ROAD TL 71 NE (east side)

4/72 The Barley Barn, 40 2.5.53 metres north-west of Cressing Temple Farmhouse (formerly listed as Cressing Temple with two barns)

GV I

Barn. Early C13, altered in early C16 and C17. Timber framed, plastered and weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red plain tiles, plinth of red brick in irregular bond. 7 bays aligned NE-SW, with 2 aisles and midstrey to SE. 38 metres long, 14 metres wide, 15 metres high. The SE elevation has great doors, 4 plain loading doors and one small light with diagonal leading. The NE end has C20 double doors and one slatted vent to each side. The NW elevation has great doors and scattered C20 fenestration. Gablet hip to SW, full hips to NE and on midstrey. The original structure is fully described, with measured drawings and perspective details, in C.A. Hewett, The Development of Carpentry, 1200-1700, an Essex Study, 1969, 22-32, 55-8, 171, 188, dated by radio-carbon to c.1200. Dendrochronological analysis of one core indicates construction soon after 1220 (Fletcher, Tapper and Morris, Vernacular Architecture 16, 1985, 41). In a major alteration datable by comparison with other structures to the first half of the C16 the NE bay was reduced to a half-bay with hip, the walls were rebuilt, and a crownpost structure was added to the existing roof. These walls have jowled posts, heavy studding with curved bracing trenched to the inside, and edge-halved and bridled scarfs in the wallplates. The plain crownposts are down-braced to the tiebeams, with axial braces to the collar purlin. The midstrey is of early C17 construction, with jowled outer posts, unjowled inner posts, primary straight bracing above the girts, no bracing below the girts, and a clasped purlin roof projecting on struts over the great doors. There have been repairs and piecemeal replacements at various times from the C18 to the C20. Some arcade posts have been shored up to replace the sills and plinths below, leaving shoring notches in the posts (J. McCann, Building marks on wall posts, Period Home, June/July 1981, 33-4). Some arcade posts and some sections of arcade-plate are reinforced by bolted parallel timbers. A section of arcade plate opposite the midstrey and extending for half a bay in each direction has been replaced. The tiebeam of the truss to NE of the midstrey has been replaced, and in the next truss to the NE all parts except the arcade-posts have been replaced. The lower ends of all passing-braces have been removed in connection with the replacement of the aisle walls, but their former positions may be deduced from the notched-lap matrices and oblique trenches in the surviving structure. Other original braces are missing, leaving similar evidence. An unusual feature of this building is a pattern of auger holes high on the arcade-posts and arcade-braces, having no structural function, probably used for attachment of staging during the original construction; few other timber-framed buildings are so high as to be beyond the reach of ladders. Small lean-to extension at N corner demolished 1986. RCHM 3.

Listing NGR: TL7989318774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116396

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A, The Development of Carpentry 1200-1700 An Essex Study, (1969), 22-32,55
'Vernacular Architecture' in Vernacular Architecture, , Vol. 16, (1985), 41
'Period Home' in Period Home, (1981), 33-4

End of official listing