Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1123898

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988



Ordnance survey map of KENTISHES FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123898 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 10:16:03.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Stisted

National Grid Reference: TL 79119 26235


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1/252 Kentishes Farmhouse 2.5.53 (formerly listed as Kentish Farmhouse)


House. Late C16, altered c.1600, renovated and restored 1986. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 4-bay crosswing facing NE, c.1580, originally with long jetty, of a former hall house. 4-bay main range facing SE on site of hall house, with internal stack in left bay. C17 stair tower to rear of left bay, and C19 single-storey lean-to extension to left of it. External stack, c.1600, to right of crosswing. C18 lean-to extension to rear of main range. 2 storeys, cellar and attics. On ground floor, 2 late C18/early C19 splayed bays, each with moulded mullions, saddle bars and one wrought iron casement. To each side of each bay, one window of c.1600 with 2 ovolo-moulded mullions, ovolo-moulded surround, and 3 diamond saddle bars, with C20 rectangular leaded glazing. Late C16 studded door of 8 moulded and rebated planks, a rare feature. On left stack, 2 late C16 octagonal shafts. On right stack, 2 moulded shafts in Tudor style, restored 1986. In the rear elevation are 2 first-floor windows, c.1600, with ovolo-moulded mullions similar to those in front. Jowled posts. In crosswing, edge-halved and bridled scarf in right wallplate; diamond mortices and shutter groove for former unglazed window to left of rear bay. Ground-floor hearth rebuilt, retaining original mantel beam. Clasped purlin roof with curved wind bracing. Rebated oak floorboards in attic. Door of 6 moulded and rebated planks in ground floor of crosswing, late C16. In rear bays, exposed plain joists of horizontal section. In middle bays of main range, moulded axial and transverse beams. Left ground-floor hearth rebuilt, retaining original mantel beam. At rear of ground floor, 2 12-panel oak doors, c.1600, one inverted, and dado of re-sited oak panelling. Late C17 stair with large turned newels (damaged on landing), plain chamfered handrails, and turned oak balusters of 2 different designs attached with handmade nails. At head of stair, one early C18 2-panel door and one early C17 8-panel door with cockshead hinges. The stair tower blocks an original first-floor window. Similar roof. This house retains an exceptional number of early features in unaltered condition, and has been accurately restored in 1986. Some evidence of a former crosswing at left end. RCHM 18.

Listing NGR: TL7911926235


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116268

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing