RANGE OF 2 BARNS APPROXIMATELY 60 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF HIGH LAVER GRANGE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1123934

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1984

Statutory Address: RANGE OF 2 BARNS APPROXIMATELY 60 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF HIGH LAVER GRANGE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RANGE OF 2 BARNS APPROXIMATELY 60 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF HIGH LAVER GRANGE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123934 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 13:38:57.

Location

Statutory Address: RANGE OF 2 BARNS APPROXIMATELY 60 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF HIGH LAVER GRANGE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: High Laver

National Grid Reference: TL 52881 09264

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 529 093 HIGH LAVER Range of 2 5/9 Barns approx. 60 metres SSE of High Laver Grange Farmhouse

II

Range of barns, C17-18. Timber framed, weatherboarded, roofed with corrugated iron. Consists of (1) one barn of 5 bays aligned approx. N-S, with aisle on W only, with midstrey to E. Jowled posts, straight tiebeams, arched braces to them and to arcade plate. Primary straight bracing, heavy studding. Vertical queen struts, clasped purlins, with extra clasping collars at half-bay intervals. Bladed scarfs in arcade plate and wallplate. Original W door blocked with corrugated iron. In original E doorway there are carved grotesque brackets, each representing a female figure with cloven hoofs, tenoned aid pegged into the angles between the jambs and lintel, original to the structure, with traces of original red paint. The grotesque N of the doorway has been mutilated to fit a later knee. Outside the brackets there are rough 'spandrels' of weatherboarding, indicating that the lean-to midstrey has been added after the original barn had been completed and clad with weatherboarding. The brackets are comparable in style with those at George Bootes House, Felsted, dated 1596, and in this context probably indicate construction in the period 1600-1640. (2) A barn of 5 bays extended to the N of (1) without an aisle, with midstrey to the E and double doors to the W. Posts now jowled, arched braces to straight tiebeams. Primary straight bracing. Inclined queen struts to principal rafters. Clasped purlins with arched wind bracing. Late C17/early C18. Listed for Group Value. RCHM 4.

Listing NGR: TL5288109264

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118084

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

End of official listing