This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BUSHES FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BUSHES FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1123942

Location

BUSHES FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Magdalen Laver

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Apr-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 118106

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 50 NW MAGDALEN LAVER Bushes Parmhouse 5/34 (formerly listed as 22.2.52 Bushes)

- II*

House, c.1500, extended in early C17, restored 1933. Timber framed, plastered with frame wholly exposed, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4-bay range aligned approx. N-S, aspec W, with axial chimney stack in second bay from S and internal chimney stack at N gable. Continuous jetty to W. 3-bay extension to E of S end, early C17, with chimney stack in middle bay against S wall, hearths facing E. Lean-to extensions at N end of N-S range, and in the angle. Small extension with pitched roof at E end of E-W range. 2 storeys. W elevation, 4 leaded casement windows on ground floor, 3 on first floor, all C20. Roof hipped at S end. Internal chimney stack has grouped diagonal shafts. Walls of N-S range close-studded with curved tension braces trenched outside studs. Studs of E wall unweathered at S end, indicating that there has always been a building in the position of the present E wing. Jowled posts in both blocks. In the 2 N bays unchamfered joists of horizontal section exposed, axial corma beams square and unchamfered. Projecting pegs in one bay represent 1933 restoration, as does inserted partition. In the 2 S bays transverse and axial corma beams moulded (hollow chamfer step and ogee), joists plastered to soffits. This room lined with panelling c.1600, with some reproduction. On first floor, hearths both sides of axial stack have depressed brick arches and chamfered jambs, originally plastered, now stripped, early C17, and additionally S hearth has small C19 grate. Tiebeam over S room is hollow-chamfered. Crownpost roof, plain crownposts with curved axial braces, complete except where axial chimney stack is inserted. Some original wattle and daub in roof. In E wing, arched braces to wallplates inside studs, not trenched. 4 early C17 glazed windows are present, with ovolo-moulded mullions - on ground floor N wall, on first floor in N and S walls, in attic at E gable. Roof of butt purlin construction re-using many smoke-blackened medieval rafters. It is clear that a medieval open hall originally occupied the site of the present E wing, of which the long-jettied N- S range is the fashionable parlour extension of c.1500. There is no evidence of the position of an original chimney in this range, the roof structure showing clear evidence that the present axial chimney is a later insertion. An estate map by Matt Dayles in the possession of the owner shows that in 1742 Bushes Farm (then with the same name) comprised 143 acres, of which 42 were copyhold. Moated site. RCHM 5. Photographs in the NMR show it before and after the external plaster was removed in 1933.

Listing NGR: TL5257407923

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

National Grid Reference: TL 52574 07923

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1123942 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:40:01.

End of official listing