CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1124008

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124008 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 23:32:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Stapleford Tawney

National Grid Reference: TQ 50288 99018

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 59 NW STAPLEFORD TAWNEY CHURCH ROAD 7/277 Church of St. Mary 20/2/67 GV II*

Parish Church. Chancel circa 1220. South chapel and nave added shortly after. North vestry and South Porch circa 1862 when the church was drastically restored. West Bell Turret weatherboarded with shingled broach spire and weathercock. Flint rubble built with stone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs with pierced ridge tiles. Chancel. 2, 2 stage buttresses stone capped. East window of 3 C19/20 lancets in pointed arched heads, in the north wall is a lancet window, modern except for re-cut stone splays and a C19/20 arch to the organ chamber. South wall with C15 window of 2 cinquefoil lights with square head and moulded label. C19/20 arcade of 2 bays extending into nave. There is no chancel arch. Chancel roof of 7 cants is plastered and painted. South Chapel. Mid Cl3. In east wall is an original lancet window under a wide pointed wall arch. In the south wall are 3 lancets and 1 in the west wall, are all modern except possibly re-cut stones in the splays. Moulded wall plates to 6 cant roof. Nave. In the north wall are 2 C19 2 light windows, one Cl9 doorway and the blocked C13 north doorway with chamfered jambs and two centred arch. The south wall has C19/20 2 light window in a 2 centred head and C19/20 doorway with 2 centre head moulded label and face stops, vertically boarded door with 4 ornate hinges. Nave roof of 7 cants with C19 boarding. The Porch has a crossquadrate crownpost, collared rafters and stop chamfered tie beam on flint walls. Bell Turret stands on 4 chamfered posts with tie beams, curved braces and diagonal struts. Fittings. Font on plain shaft with moulded base and cushion bowl. Hatchment to north wall. Communion rails. Square posts with moulded tops, flat, pierced, moulded and diminishing balusters Cl7. Floor slabs in chancel to various members of the Luther and Lowe families Cl7 and Cl8. Monuments to members of the Smith family, Henry Soames, Grace Adalson and Charlotte Tupper. Stone pulpit with 2 two-centre arches to each face.

Listing NGR: TQ5028899018

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117969

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing