OLD CORNER SHOP

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1124068

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Apr-1984

Statutory Address: OLD CORNER SHOP, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD CORNER SHOP
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124068 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 22:15:29.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD CORNER SHOP, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Ongar

National Grid Reference: TL 55278 02975

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5502 ONGAR HIGH STREET (E side) 9/85 No 150 (Old Corner Shop) 27/8/52 and attached buildings to rear. (formerly listed as The Corner House)

GV II

Shop C17 and earlier with C18 and later alterations. The front range at the corner of High Street and Church Approach is jettied to each face, with a moulded bressumer and 4 Vitruvian scroll brackets Timber framed and plastered with red plain tiled roof, gabled to Church approach. Hipped dormer with Cl9 small paned window to High Street. 2 storeys basement and attics. 2 range C19 small paned vertical, sliding sash windows to each face of first floor and C19 attic window to Church Approach. Ground floor to Church Approach has 2 C19 small paned windows and C19 ½ glazed with small panes to double doors with moulded surrounds, stop chamfered with chalice and fleur-de-lis. The High Street face with C19 small paned window to right, and C17 doorway with moulded surround, stop chamfered and with carved chalice and fleur-de-lis, carved above is the date 1642. Coved eaves cornice. Red brick chimney stack with 2 octagonal shafts. To the left of the Church Approach face are two attached buildings, the first, of 2 storeys, probably late C15, or early C16 and originally jettied with 2 window range of Cl9 3 light casements. The first floor with exposed timber frame, C15/16 or earlier. The second of one storey, part rough rendered, part weatherboard with red plain tile roof hipped to left. There is a double door to the left, and an early, 3 board door in a moulded surround to right. All builds of visual and historic interest to the Church and High Street. RCHM 9. _

Listing NGR: TL5527802975

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117800

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing