BUDWORTH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1124075

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1984

Statutory Address: BUDWORTH HALL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUDWORTH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124075 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 18:31:43.

Location

Statutory Address: BUDWORTH HALL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Ongar

National Grid Reference: TL 55241 03115

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5503 ONGAR HIGH STREET (W side) 8/107 Budworth Hall

GV II

Public Hall. c.1886. Built by Fothergill Watson of Nottingham with tower added c.1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Jubilee. Given to the Town by the Budworth family of Greensted Hall. Red brick built, with plain red tiled roof. Of complex plan, the rear of 3 storeys with ½ hipped roofs acroterian to ridge and projecting eaves. 2 storey forward crosswing to left with ½ hipped roof and matching details to rear roof. This range with a 4 light oriel supported by timber brackets to first floor and matching bay window to ground floor. There is a ½ glazed door under a red tiled porch supported by brackets, and a rear extension porch. Plaque - "Erected 1886" over bay window. Batten design to first floor and various decorative bands, which continue throughout the building. The Tower to the right of two stages, with hipped, red tile roof, decorative cast iron ridge and weathervane. Clock face to each face below the projecting eaves. 3 light window below clock to Bansons Lane face and two lights to High Street; with segmental arches and heads. Hipped red tiled porch, supported by 4 curved brackets. Double boarded doors with segmental heads and decorative iron hinges. The clock faces set in square recesses with moulded brick infill. Various moulded bands. Stone name plaque to centre front with commemorative plaque below. There is an outshot red tiled roof between crosswing and tower. To the right of the tower, and set back is a small turret, with octangonal spire and finial, moulded brick "Tudor" windows to first floor and two small lights to ground floor. 4 red brick chimney stacks with pilaster strips, moulded caps and bases.

Listing NGR: TL5524103115

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117822

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing