WALTHAM ABBEY VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1124127
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1971
Statutory Address:
WALTHAM ABBEY VICARAGE, HIGHBRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALTHAM ABBEY VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124127 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 11:29:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALTHAM ABBEY VICARAGE, HIGHBRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Epping Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Waltham Abbey
National Grid Reference:
TL 38087 00666

Details

HIGHBRIDGE STREET 1. 1767 Waltham Abbey Vicarage TL 3800 NW 1/1D 3.2.71. II* GV

2. Late C16 or early C17 L-shaped building. 2 storeys and attic, 3 windows. High pitched roof, renewed tiles, gabled at left and with projecting section under gable at right. 1 original and 1 renewed brick chimney. 2 later, flat headed dormers stuccoed walls. Sash windows (some renewed) with glazing bars in near flush, moulded frames. Ground floor windows have old external shutters. Projecting ground-floor section within the L has early C19 entrance porch with square wood columns, cornice hood and trellised side. Door has 2 glazed panels above and rusticated panels below. Reeded architrave. 2 round-headed late C18 windows at back, one, in gabled extension, has patterned radial head which may have been a door fanlight. Joseph Hall, afterwards Bishop of Exeter and Norwich, lived here 16l2-34. Thomas Fuller, cleric and historian, lived here 1649-57. Graded partly for historic interest.

Church or the Holy Cross and St Lawrence, Abbey Gateway, Midnight Chapel and Harolds Bridge, Walls of Abbey and Chapter House, Garden Wall and the Vicarage form a group.

Listing NGR: TL3808700666

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
117633
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00551/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Booth. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].