WALTHAM ABBEY WALLS, INCLUDING CHAPTER HOUSE WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1124157

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1971

Statutory Address: WALTHAM ABBEY WALLS, INCLUDING CHAPTER HOUSE WALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALTHAM ABBEY WALLS, INCLUDING CHAPTER HOUSE WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124157 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 15:29:10.

Location

Statutory Address: WALTHAM ABBEY WALLS, INCLUDING CHAPTER HOUSE WALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Waltham Abbey

National Grid Reference: TL 38191 00690

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. Waltham Abbey Walls, including 1767 Chapter House Wall TL 3800 NW 1/1E 3.2.71. II GV

2. Late C12 or early Cl3, dating from rebuilding period after 1184, raising of Priory to Abbey and before 1242, date of rededication of enlarged church. Rubble, incorporating some flintwork, and red brickwork, some perhaps original. North west section later became part of Abbey House and incorporates brick fireplaces from the time of Sir Edward Denny, died 1399; mullioned and transomed window now blocked. 2 red brick piers in centre of north wall have stone plinths and pyramidal caps. Abbey House demolished 1770.

Church of the Holy Cross and St Lawrence, Abbey Gateway, Midnight Chapel and Harolds Bridge, Walls of Abbey and Chapter House, Garden Wall and the Vicarage form a group.

Listing NGR: TL3819100690

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117611

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing