Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1124178

Date first listed: 22-Jun-1989



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124178 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 00:03:24.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)

Parish: Hawkhurst

National Grid Reference: TQ 76208 30509


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HAWKHURST RYE ROAD TQ 7630-7730 (south side) Highgate 17/422 Church of All Saints GV II Chapel of ease. 1861, by Sir G G Scott for Rev H E and Miss C Jennings. Sand- stone with plain tiled roof and shingled spire. chancel, nave with aisles, south-eastern tower and north porch. Exterior of uniform execution with plinth, string course, offset corner buttresses and corbel table to parapet-gabled roofs with cross finials. Paired cusped lancets with trefoils under single hood throughout, with wheel window in western gable, and west window set in blind arcading. Blind arcading also to chancel north wall. Tower of 3 stages with off- set corner buttresses, lancette stair lights and recessed lancet belfry openings with roundels over and corbel table to broach spire. Gabled north porch with arcaded side walls (integral benches within) and moulded outer and inner doorways with attached shafts and hoods and florid stiff-leaf decoration, the inner door with good quality scrolled C-strap hinges. Interior: faced with sandstone ashlar, with 4 bay arcades, the round piers with French influenced crockets and with keel-moulded arches, with corbelled colonettes to responds. Open trussed rafter roof. Roll and keel moulded chancel arch on corbels, and simple hood moulded arches from south aisle and chancel to tower chapel. Sanctuary with blind arcading with marble shafts and string course, windows with attached shafts. Fittings: brass foliage bracketed altar rail and scrolled carved bench ends in chancel. Brass lectern and enriched brass rail to stone pulpit with dogtooth and water leaf enrichment and relief panels of Apostles. Columned stem. Fluted stem and bowl font with inscription and Holy Dove. All fittings by Scott. Glass in chancel by Clayton and Bell, 1861. See BOE, Kent, I, 1980, 316; see also Victorian Churches of Kent, Roger Homans, 1984, 64.

Listing NGR: TQ7620830509


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 169772

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Homans, R, Victorian Churches of Kent, (1984), 64
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980), 316

End of official listing