THE SOUTH HALF OF THE MAIN SCHOOL BUILDINGS TONBRIDGE SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1124184

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1972

Statutory Address: THE SOUTH HALF OF THE MAIN SCHOOL BUILDINGS, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: TONBRIDGE SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SOUTH HALF OF THE MAIN SCHOOL BUILDINGS
TONBRIDGE SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124184 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 14:26:00.

Location

Statutory Address: THE SOUTH HALF OF THE MAIN SCHOOL BUILDINGS, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: TONBRIDGE SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 59076 46988

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. HIGH STREET 1732 (West Side)

Tonbridge School

The South half of the main School Buildings. TQ 5946 NW 3/35C TQ 5947 SW 5/35C

II

2. 1864. Architect E H Burnell. file section of the School built at this date is a good example-of mid-Victorian "Gilbert Scott" Gothic. 3 storeys. 12 windows. Sandstone ashlar. Castellated parapet. Blue slate roof with 2 horizontal lines of 5 courses each of green slates inserted along the centre. The building is divided into 2 sections by a small tower in the centre. The south section has 6 windows of 3 trefoil-headed lights each with stone mullions on ground floor, square-headed windows with stone transoms as well as mullions on first floor and pairs of trefoil-headed lancets on 2nd floor. The tower has 4 storeys, buttresses at angles and 4-light oriel window on 1st floor. The north section has 6 pointed windows of 2 trefoil-headed lancets each extending from ground to 1st floor plus 1 window bay of square-headed windows on both floors containing 4 lights each with 2 transoms; on the 2nd floor of whole section 14 trefoil-headed lancets.

Listing NGR: TQ5906547021

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 178707

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing