CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1124216

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124216 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 13:37:48.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Wotton Underwood

National Grid Reference: SP 68837 15942

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 61 NE WOTTON UNDERWOOD

3/179 Church of All Saints

21.12.67

- II*

Parish church. Originally C14 with remains of C12 W. doorway; restored and S. aisle rebuilt 1867 by G.E. Street for Duke of Buckingham. C19 W. tower. Coursed rubble stone, lead roofs. Off-set buttresses,moulded parapets to nave and chancel. W. tower of 2 stages with battlemented parapet, octagonal lead spire, wide lancet openings and W. door. Nave has restored C14-C15 2-light traceried windows, 3 to N. and one to S. N, door with moulded depressed arch and brick niche to right. Restored carved head gargoyles. S. aisle is of dressed stone with sill course, dripmould, and 3-light traceried windows. Chancel has cusped lancets to N. and S. and a C19 3-light E. window with reticulated tracery. Small C19 N. vestry. Interior: nave has door to tower with C12 incised patterning to lintel. Nave roof is dated 1870 and has carved angel corbels. S. arcade has 3 bays of arches on quatrefoil piers, all renewed C19, and 2 W. bays with elaborate C19 tracery forming screen to Grenville chapel. 2 remaining bays of S. aisle are divided by arch and have dado of blind tracery panels with inscriptions. Restored C15 chancel arch is double hollow chamfered on semi-octagonal piers. Chancel also has moulded sill course, cinquefoil piscina and C19 arches to aisle and vestry. Fittings: circular font on banded stem, possibly medieval but much reworked; medieval chest; fine early C18 wrought iron screen to chapel has Corinthian capitals and crest with foliage scrolls and initials of Richard Grenville. Other fittings C19. C19 armorial glass to chapel. Monuments: C19 ogee recess at W. end of chapel contains tomb chest with carved stone effigy of Agnes de Wightham, d.1386 but carved C16; C16 brasses to Edward Greneveile, wife and child; stone wall tablets to members of Grenville family; large tomb chest along S. wall with double row of oval brass inscription tablets to same family; more oval tablets on floor. RCHM I p.326-7

Listing NGR: SP6883715942

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 42541

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

End of official listing