ROTUNDA

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1124224

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Feb-1985

Statutory Address: ROTUNDA

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROTUNDA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124224 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 02:00:02.

Location

Statutory Address: ROTUNDA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Wotton Underwood

National Grid Reference: SP 68043 17017

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 61 NE WOTTON UNDERWOOD WOTTON HOUSE

3/176 Rotunda (formerly listed as Ionic Rotunda)

21.12.67

- II

Garden pavilion in form of circular temple. 1750s. Wood, the columns having stone bases; the roof is now made of fibreglass. 10 columns with moulded Ionic capitals and entablature. Shallow domed roof. The building was dilapidated at the time of listing in 1967, but has been restored, and largely rebuilt circa 1990. Illustrated in Country Life 1949 July 8th.

The historic designed landscape surrounding an early-C18 country house, with a contemporary layout, probably by George London and Henry Wise, developed into an extensive mid-C18 park for George Grenville by Lancelot Brown; William Pitt, later first Earl of Chatham, is credited with significant input with regard to the design.

Listing NGR: SP6854116191

The List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 10 August 2016 as part of the tercentenary celebration of Lancelot Capability Brown's birth.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 42561

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lysons, Reverend D, Lysons, S, Magna Britannia, (1813)
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire, (1994), 764-7
Phipps, J L (Debois Landscape Survey Group), Wotton Underwood: A survey of the landscape, (1999)
'.' in Country Life, (8 July 1949), .
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire,

End of official listing