TOWER FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1124279

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: TOWER FARMHOUSE, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124279 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 13:45:33.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWER FARMHOUSE, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Boarstall

National Grid Reference: SP 62414 14290

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 61 SW 5/2 BOARSTALL MAIN ROAD Tower Farmhouse

GV

II

25.10.51

House. Early C17. Thin brick in English bond, with rubble stone plinth, ashlar band course, moulded stone cornicea little below the eaves, and stone quoins and windows. C20 tile roof, hipped to left. Chimney between left bays is partly of thin brick. Originally E-plan with short side wings and central staircase projection to rear, the left wing with stables surviving in rear bay, the right wing demolished. 2 storeys and attic, 6 bays. 2-light moulded stone mullion windows with Tudor hoodmoulds and leaded lights. Ground floor windows flanking door altered to 3-light leaded casements with transoms. Main entrance in fourth bay has stone chamfered jambs and 4-centred arch, and C20 gabled timber porch. Similar stone doorways to far left and to rear of left wing. C20 doors to front. Irregular lean-to extensions and attic dormers to rear. Rear walls partly of greensand rubble. Interior has stop chamfered spine and cross beams, and timber framed partitions to first floor with stop-chamfered doorframes. Original board doors. Upper flight of spacious C17 winder staircase, lower flight replaced C20. Attic to left wing has landing balustrade with turned balusters. Rear bay of left wing has C17-early C19 stabling for 3 horses, one partition with wooden Doric column. RCHM I p. 59 Mon. 5.

Listing NGR: SP6241414290

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 42383

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

End of official listing