CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1124287
Date first listed:
21-Dec-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124287.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Apr-2021 at 19:38:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Buckinghamshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Brill
National Grid Reference:
SP 65628 13854

Details

SP 6513 BRILL CHURCH STREET

8/15 Church of All Saints (formerly listed under 21.12.67 The Green)

GV II*

Parish church. Originally C12, much rebuilt 1888 by J. Oldrid Scott, retaining C15 tower. Tower and chancel are of rubble stone, remainder roughcast. Tiled roofs to nave and chancel, lead roofs to aisles, small leaded spire to tower. W. tower is short in comparison to heightened nave and is of 2 stages with moulded ashlar parapet, diagonal buttresses and 2-light traceried openings to bell-chamber and W. side. Nave has C19 clerestory with 4 bays of cusped roundels. N. aisle built 1839, S. aisle 1888, both with 4 bays of 2-light traceried windows and both re- using restored Norman doorways with roll-moulded arches on shafts with cushion capitals. E. bay of N. aisle is small chapel with shallow gabled roof and re-used C13 E. window of 4 traceried uncusped lights. S. aisle has re-used C15-C16 windows to E. and W., and C19 timber gabled porch. Chancel entended to E. C19, with C19 3-light traceried E. window below re-used pair of C15 cusped lights. S. side has 2 C19 ogee lights and small doorway; N. side has restored cusped lancet and small blocked window with semi-circular head. Interior: low wide double-chamfered arch to tower with deeply splayed semi-circular head of C12 window above. C19 nave arcades of 4 bays, C19 roofs to nave and aisles. S. aisle has semi-circular arched recess with similarly arched piscina, and another piscina with octagonal shaft. Narrow mid C13 chancel arch with traces of paintings on the soffit. 2 C17 roof trusses to chancel, both with curved queen posts, the W. truss with elaborate pendant in central cusped arch, dated 1639. Fittings: C17 chair inscribed 'I G Thomas Pavier' in chancel; C17-C18 turned baluster rails and chest in S. chapel; heptagonal C15 font with traceried panels; elaborate wooden font cover by Canon Vernon Staley c.1914. Monuments: small brass inscription tablet to John and Mabil Hood c,1540 in chancel; marble tablet with pilaster strips, cornice, base and armorial crest to Mary Belson 1715, on W. wall of nave. RCHM I p. 62-64.

Listing NGR: SP6562813854

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
42396
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13772/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].