Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124657.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2021 at 15:22:27.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Buckinghamshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 95624 01478


CHURCH STREET 1. 967 (North Side) The Bury SP 9501 SE 1/2 10.11.51. II GV 2. Country house built for William Lowndes (1652-1724) Secretary to the Treasury in the reign of Queen Anne. Date 1716 on rainwater heads. Original 5 bay front extended in late C18 to 7 bays. Wing added 1853. Red brickwork with rusticated quoins. 2 storeys, cornice, panelled parapet. Sash windows with glazing bars under cambered cutter arches. 2 ground floor segmental bow windows, 1st floor Venetian window either end. Entrance front Neo-Tudor wing over carriage arch. Neo-Georgian north garden arcade connecting house with summer house. Interior retains some original panelling. The Bury, the Stables and the North and South Lodges form a group.

Listing NGR: SP9562401478


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15887/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Kathryn Collinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].