This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

VICARAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: VICARAGE

List entry Number: 1124708

Location

VICARAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Minver Highlands

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 351621

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 07 NW ST MINVER ST MINVER HIGHLANDS 5/298 Vicarage GV II Vicarage. Possibly early C18, remodelled in 1789 (datestone) and extended in circa 1830s. Rendered stone rubble, slate hung on west front. Slate and asbestos slate roofs; hipped ends to earlier range on west and hipped end to later rear wing on south east. West range with brick end stack on left hand (north) hipped end and brick axial stack, originally rear lateral stack heating right hand room on south. When the rear wing was added, the lateral stack was incorporated to become an axial stack. Brick axial stack near centre of south east wing. Plan: Early C18 range on west probably comprised a two room and central passage plan, the left hand (north) room heated by end stack and the right hand (south) room by rear lateral stack. This range was partly remodelled in 1789, probably when the west front was slate hung. In circa early 1830s a wing was added to the rear of the right hand (south) room to produce an overall 'L' shaped plan; the west range was remodelled when the entrance was blocked and a back stair inserted in the passage. The added south wing comprised a plan of two reception rooms heated by axial stack on the garden front and an entrance hall and stair on the north side. An entrance porch was added on the north east. In circa 1830s or 1840s a service range was added on the north east in the angle between the earlier west range and the south wing. Two storeys. Almost symmetrical three window west front with segmental arches to ground floor openings; C20 glazed door on left and two C19 16-pane sashes in centre and on right. Datestone 1789 above centre opening. First floor with three early C19 16-pane hornless sashes. South garden front, almost symmetrical three window elevation with early C19 hornless sashes; two 12-pane sashes flank central early C19 canted bay window on ground floor with three 12-pane sashes above. Early C19 24-pane hornless sash window lighting stair on east elevation with entrance in C19 single storey porch on north east corner. Interior: largely complete with C19 detailing. Several date C18 and early C19 chimney-pieces with cast iron hob grates of circa early and mid C19. Circa 1830s open well stair with stick balusters and ramped rail. 8 bay roof structure over west range of circa early C18, oak pegged with collars and apices of principals halved, lap-jointed and pegged. Terriers for 1727 extanct describing house of stone, covered with slate; 5 rooms and four chambers, a hall of two bays floored with clift stone and 4 others with earth floors (Maclean). This terrier may correspond with part of the existing vicarage. Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, 1879 vol III

Listing NGR: SW9657777060

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)

National Grid Reference: SW9657777060

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124708 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 08:01:30.

End of official listing