This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RETAINING WALL OF CHURCHYARD TO CHURCHYARD NORTH AND WEST OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL'S

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RETAINING WALL OF CHURCHYARD TO CHURCHYARD NORTH AND WEST OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL'S

List entry Number: 1124717

Location

RETAINING WALL OF CHURCHYARD TO CHURCHYARD NORTH AND WEST OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL'S

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Minver Lowlands

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 351641

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 97 NW ST MINVER PORTHILLY LOWLANDS 3/322 Retaining wall of Churchyard to - north and west of Church of St. Michael's GV II Retaining wall of churchyard and flight of steps. Circa mid C19. Wall constructed of vertically coursed slate stones with intermediate piers of horizontally coursed slate stone. About 47 metres in length forming a retaining wall to the churchyard of St. Michael's Church, Porthilly (qv) and the south wall of Porthilly Cove on the east bank of the Camel estuary. A flight of stone rubble steps rises from the cove up to the churchyard with some reset dressed stone. The wall is reputed to have been planned by a vicar of St. Michael's when a small piece of land was recovered from the estuary. Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History or the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, 1879. vol. III.

Listing NGR: SW9368475376

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)

National Grid Reference: SW9368475376

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124717 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 08:32:33.

End of official listing