This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TRESCOBEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TRESCOBEL

List entry Number: 1124723

Location

TRESCOBEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Kew

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 351558

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 07 NW ST KEW ST KEW 5/221 Trescobel (previously listed as 6.6.69 Vicarage) GV II Vicarage, now private house. Circa early C19, possibly built for John-Samuel Scobell who was admitted in 1837 and died in 1849. Stone rubble, rendered probably originally plastered with left-hand side wall slate-hung. Brick end chimney stacks heating 2 front reception rooms, rear lateral brick stack heating original kitchen on left and axial brick stack heating room on rear right. Later service wing of stone rubble with slate roof with gable end and brick end stack. Double depth plan with 2 reception rooms on front, stair to rear of central hall/passage with original kitchen to left of stair and a third reception room to right of stair. Extended with mid C19 service wing to rear right of 1-room plan. 2 storeys symmetrical 3-window front with incised end pilaster strips with key motifs. Ground floor with central Doric porch with fluted columns and part-glazed double doors, inner door and windows in flanking walls fenestrated with original chinoiserie patterned glazing bars. Tall 12-pane hornless sashes on either side. First floor with three 12-pane hornless sashes with eared architraves. Rear wing with hornless sashes and crown glass. Interior complete early C19 joinery. Central entrance hall with plastered groin- vaulted ceiling of 3 bays. Front reception rooms of equal size with identical C19 marble chimney pieces with pilasters decorated with key motif identical to pilaster strips on front elevation. C19 open-well stair with open-string and ramped rail. House on site of earlier rectory marked on C18 map in Lanhydrock. Particularly complete early C19 vicarage, both internally and externally. Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall Volume II, 1868 rp 1974.

Listing NGR: SX0228076850

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)

National Grid Reference: SX 02282 76854

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124723 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 02:03:55.

End of official listing