SKISDON INCLUDING COLD STORES TO REAR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1124725

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: SKISDON INCLUDING COLD STORES TO REAR

Map

Ordnance survey map of SKISDON INCLUDING COLD STORES TO REAR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124725 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 18:30:31.

Location

Statutory Address: SKISDON INCLUDING COLD STORES TO REAR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Kew

National Grid Reference: SX 02332 76989

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 07 NW ST KEW ST KEW 5/224 Skisdon including cold stores to - rear II House with range of cold stores to rear. Possibly C18 or earlier, heavily remodelled in mid C19 and converted into flats in early to mid C20. Stone rubble, partly rendered, probably stuccoed in C18. Slate roof with gabled front to 3-storey ranges on left and triple gabled end to range on right. Brick chimney stacks in valleys between triple gabled range and projecting rear lateral stack with brick shaft to range on left. Plan much altered and original arrangement uncertain. Engraving by C.S. Gilbert in possession of owners illustrates Skisdon in circa 1817 when the house comprised a regular 4-window range on left with entrance on right and probably a plan of 3 rooms to left of entrance, heated by axial chimney stacks. A 2-window range on right was set back from main range and heated by a rear lateral chimney stack. Circa mid C19 alterations and extensions to the house included the remodelling of the left-hand side of the main range by adding an extra storey to provide a 3-storey cross wing; and another range parallel at the rear which contains the stairs at the rear of the entrance hall. The right hand end was extended in the mid C19 by the addition of a large room at the front; the room in the range behind was remodelled at the same time and both face the garden to the right of the house under a three-span gabled roof. 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 1:3:2 window range with window openings similar to those illustrated in the 1817 engraving. Comprises 3-storey one window range on left with gable end, lower 3 window central range of 2 storey and attic with steeply pitched roof and 2 window range on right projecting forward. Central 3-window range with straight joint to left of centre. Ground floor with C20 double glazed door on left, 4-pane sash to right of centre and entrance on right with circa mid C19 rendered gabled porch with shaped bargeboards. First floor with three 4-pane sashes. Steeply pitched roof with 2 gabled full dormers with 4-pane sashes and shaped bargeboards. Bellcote on ridge to left of centre. Range on left with C19 4-pane sash on ground, first and second floors and blind window above in gable end. Range on right with 2 tall C19 4-pane sashes on ground and first floor. Right-hand side elevation with triple gabled front with wavy timber barge boards and finials. C20 verandah on ground floor and 4-pane sashes on first and second floors. 3 storey rear elevation. Large niches excavated out of bedrock cliff to rear to form larders and cold stores. Interior main range on left with hall passage of full 2-storey height with coved ceiling. Room to left of entrance hall with circa late C18 classical chimney-piece decorated with swags and ovals with late C18 cast iron grate with hobs. C19 chimney pieces to 2 rooms to left served by back-to-back fireplace. Large C19 kitchen fireplace in room to rear on left with bell-pull to ring bell in bellcote. Thick wall between front and rear rooms in central range continuing as lath and plaster partition above ground floor. Circa C19 stair with closed string, square balusters, ramped rail and turned simple newels. Stair window with double-glazed C19 glass and stained glass panel inscribed 'Braddon of Treworgey, 1654' with heraldic arms. Range on right with C19 marble chimney-pieces and cornices. Roof timbers to main range replaced in circa mid C19 when the roof pitch was altered to span the double depth range. Roof structure above remains of earlier range on right not fully accessible; circa C18, with lapped and pegged collars and ridge. Skisdon was a parcel of the Manor of Tregoide, first mentioned in 1350 as a tenement of the manor under the form of Reskesen. In 1707 it formed part of the possessions of John Nicholls of Trewane (qv). In circa 1777, Rev. Joseph Bennett, sometime curate in charge of the parish moved from the vicarage to Skisdon when the Rev. Joseph Pomery was installed as Vicar. Maclean attributes to Bennett the addition of a wing at Skisdon together with the erection of the garden walls. Engraving of View of Skisdon Lodge engraved by C.S Gilbert circa 1817. See Gilbert, C.S. An Historical Survey of the Count of Cornwall, 1817, vol III, p610 Maclean, J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, 1879, vol II p143

Listing NGR: SX0233176993

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 351561

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gilbert, C S , An Historical Survey of the County of Cornwall, (1817), 610
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879), 143

End of official listing