TREWORNAN INCLUDING WALL TO REAR OF COURTYARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1124739

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: TREWORNAN INCLUDING WALL TO REAR OF COURTYARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TREWORNAN INCLUDING WALL TO REAR OF COURTYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1124739 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 07:33:43.

Location

Statutory Address: TREWORNAN INCLUDING WALL TO REAR OF COURTYARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Minver Highlands

National Grid Reference: SW 98530 74424

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 97 SE ST MINVER HIGHLANDS 7/270 Trewornan including wall to rear - of courtyard GV II* Remains of large manor house and wall to rear of courtyard. Circa early C17 possibly with earlier origins. Partly demolished in circa C18 or C19. Stone rubble, partly slate hung on front elevation. Steeply pitched slate roof; hipped end on left, cross wing to right with hipped end on front and gable end to rear, hipped wing to right and rear wing to right with gable ends. Projecting stone rubble stacks with brick shafts on left hand hipped end, side lateral stack heating front room of cross wing and end stack heating right hand wing. A rear lateral stack with diagonally set rendered shafts heats the central room of the left hand range. Brick stack on rear gable end of cross wing and stone rubble and brick axial and end stacks to rear wing on right. A circa late C17 painting of the house illustrates the extensive south range prior to the demolition of the left hand (west) side. The south front was composed of a central two storey porch with two hipped or gabled wings to right and left and a further wing beyond on the right. The existing house may comprise the right hand side of the illustrated C17 south range. However, the house was considerably remodelled in the C19 and the original plan is uncertain. The existing plan of Trewornan comprises a south front with range on left (west) and cross wing on right. The left hand range is of two room, single depth plan, the right hand room heated by a rear lateral stack and the left hand room, possibly positioned to the rear of the earlier two storey porch, heated by an end stack. The front room of the cross wing on right is heated by a side lateral stack with a circa C17 stair to the north. The rear room of this wing is heated by a gable end stack. Set back, on the right hand side of the cross wing is a further range of one room plan, heated by an end stack and to the rear of this a further range of two room plan heated by axial and end stacks. The chronology of this rear wing is uncertain and whilst it may predate the south range there are several straight joints and blocked openings suggesting considerable alterations. In circa C18 the west half of the house was demolished, the only remains is a low garden wall. In circa C19 the interior was considerably remodelled and in circa C19 or early C20 the entrance was placed in the side wall of the right hand wing. In circa mid C19 a service range was added or rebuilt to the rear of the left hand range and the rear gable end of the cross wing was rebuilt. A stone rubble curtain wall was erected enclosing a courtyard to the rear of the house and a circa C16 4-centred chamfer granite arch with diabolo stops was reset in the centre. Two storeys. Complete early C19 fenestration with crown glass and hornless sashes. Regular 2:1:1 window south front with triple sashes and 12-panes sashes in left hand range, triple sashes in hipped end of cross wing and early C20 part glazed door and 4 over 8 pane sashes in right hand wing. 24 pane sash stair window in right hand side of cross wing. Rear right hand wing with C19 casements and sashes. Rear elevation has C19 sashes and two-centred arched openings with C19 intersecting glazing bars in gable end of cross wing. Interior: C19 chimney pieces and doorcases. Fine circa C17 oak dogleg stair in cross wing; closed string with moulded rail turned balusters and turned newels. Roof structure circa early to mid C17; the principals have straight feet and are morticed at the apices. Several of the collars are notched on the top face in a form of dove tail and lap-jointed onto the face of the principals. Full inspection of interior not accessible. Earliest notice of Trewornan in 1211. Temp. James I belonged to Thomas Clifford and later to Roe family (see memorial in St. Minver church qv). Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, 1879 vol. III Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1867-73 rp 1974

Listing NGR: SW9853074424

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 351593

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)

End of official listing