CLEOBURY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1125236

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1975

Statutory Address: CLEOBURY FARMHOUSE, NEWPORT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLEOBURY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125236 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 03:31:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CLEOBURY FARMHOUSE, NEWPORT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Campbell Park

National Grid Reference: SP 87374 39334

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOOLSTONE CUM WILLEN

SP83NE NEWPORT ROAD LITTLE WOOLSTONE (East side)

4/140 Cleobury Farmhouse

28/08/75 II

Farmhouse, mid to late C18 (allegedly 1760), with some later-C20 alterations.

MATERIALS: Red brick in Flemish Bond with slate roof

EXTERIOR: Three-bay house of two storeys plus attic with a slate roof. Polite front façade with good quality tightly-jointed brickwork, a central door with central door in a doorcase of panelled pilasters, frieze and cornice with segmental pediment over, and symmetrically arranged windows, one to either side of door with three to first floor. Sash windows replaced by present side-hung casements after 1975. The rear façade is more vernacular in character and retains its original three-, four- and five-light side-hung casements. Attached to the left side of the property is a one- and two-storey brick extension of unknown (but it is believed fairly recent date) date. A large brick porch to the centre of the rear façade is of the late C20 and not of historic interest.

INTERIOR: Internally the main house has an irregular double-pile plan, with a narrow central hall and front and rear rooms to either side. The simple original staircase rises through the house to the third, attic, storey. On the ground floor much original woodwork survives including six-panelled doors and cupboards flanking front dining room chimney breast. There is similarly a fairly comprehensive survival of woodwork on the second and attic floors. Two probably C18 doors through the original left gable wall confirm map evidence that the present extension replaced an earlier structure abutting the side of the main house. Original fireplaces have not survived. Cellars beneath across full depth of property.

HISTORY: Cleobury Farmhouse stands on the main historic crossroads in the village, opposite the listed Manor House. 2006 sales particulars (plausibly) date the property to 1760, although the evidence for this was unstated.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: This is a good example of a modest, later C18, brick farmhouse which retains both its main (and different) front and rear facades as well its internal plan and many of its original internal fittings.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 45926

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing