This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GILPIN HOUSE ORCHARD SIDE COWPER AND NEWTON MUSEUM

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GILPIN HOUSE ORCHARD SIDE COWPER AND NEWTON MUSEUM

List entry Number: 1125295

Location

GILPIN HOUSE, 29, MARKET PLACE
ORCHARD SIDE COWPER AND NEWTON MUSEUM, 30, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Milton Keynes

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Olney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 06-May-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 45767

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLNEY MARKET PLACE SP 8851 1/96 (south side) 3.3.52 No 29 (Gilpin House) GV and No 30 (Orchard Side (Cowper and Newton Museum)) (Formerly listed as The Cowper Museum) II* The home of the poet William Cowper from 1767 to 1786. Early C18, plum brick and light red brick round the openings and with stone dressings, early C19 slate roof with very deep eaves on heavy plain brackets in groups of three. Three storeys, brick plinth with stone capping, stone floor bands, rusticated brick pilasters each end. Central doorway with wooden gate in stone doorcase with wide moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze and triangular pediment breaking the first floor band. Matching doorway to right, with three stone steps and 6-fielded panelled door. Low doorway on left. Five sash windows to ground floor. Eight sash windows to first and second floors, all windows having flat arched heads linked by keystones to the floor bands and moulded cills and large projecting rectangular aprons consisting of brick panel with stone architrave.

Listing NGR: SP8897551272

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 88975 51272

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125295 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 04:36:56.

End of official listing