CHURCH OF ST GEORGE THE MARTYR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1125328

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1976

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE THE MARTYR, ST GEORGES WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE THE MARTYR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125328 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 05:26:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE THE MARTYR, ST GEORGES WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wolverton and Greenleys

National Grid Reference: SP 81830 41077

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLVERTON

891/2/234 ST GEORGES WAY 28-OCT-76 WOLVERTON Church of St George the Martyr

II*

Anglican Church. 1843 by H. Wyatt and David Brandon in the Early English style with 1895 extension of double transepts, choir vestry and organ chamber by J. Oldrid Scott, and choir vestry and chancel extended by one bay in 1902 by also J. O. Scott. C20 alterations include large round west window of 1954 and re-ordering in 1975. Coursed, squared local limestone with red sandstone dressings of Hollington stone from Staffordshire, plain tile roofs, lead roof to vestry and slate-hung spire, originally covered with ribbed lead.

PLAN: Chancel, organ chamber to south side of chancel, vestry to north side, tower to northeast of nave and double transepts to north and south of nave, serving as aisles.

ELEVATIONS: West front has pointed arched doorway, a pair of lancet windows above and large rose window in gable inserted 1954 of ironstone from Hornton Warwickshire. Nave and transepts have lancet windows, those to transept ends paired and linked by one bay of blank arcade. Each transept gable has a circular sexfoiled window. 3-stage NE tower has doorway to north, with pointed arched head and one order of shafts, small trefoiled windows to middle stage above doorway and 2-light bellchamber openings with attached shafts bearing foliage capitals and Y tracery; corbel table and broach spire, slate-hung. Chancel has lancet windows to north and south sides and 5-light east window with small trefoiled circles to head and hood mould with carved head label stops. Vestry to north has pairs of windows with Caernarvon-arched heads. Former vestry to south side has blocked windows to south and east sides, the latter of two trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil to head. Link between former vestry and transept has 3-light window with trefoiled heads to lights. Offset angle buttresses to chancel, diagonal offset buttresses to transepts. Stone-coped gables throughout that to east end of nave terminating on north side in carved lion conchant on tower.

INTERIOR: Dressings of Farleigh Down Bath stone and arcade piers of Forest of Dean grey stone, with moulded caps and bases of Portland stone. West gallery on timber posts with clock to centre of gallery front. Nave roof has prominent tie beam trusses. Rood screen of carved oak completed 1922 by J. O. Scott. Mosaic panels in west wall of chancel, mid-C19, re-set from former reredos. Stained glass windows by Powells of Whitefriars and in side windows of chancel earlier C19 stained glass from original east window.

Listing NGR: SP8183041080

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 45638

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing